This information and the privacy statement below apply to our online advertising technology platform (the Platform), and will be of general interest to Internet users. If you have any questions about this information, please contact us at [email protected].
Opt Out: To go directly to our opt out, click here
The information and Privacy Statement provided here do not apply to the ClickCertain enterprise cloud computing service.
Ad Server: An ad server, in its simplest form, is responsible for delivering an ad to be shown in a web page. Today, communications may be sent to several servers in the process of selecting and delivering an ad. This occurs in a matter of milliseconds.
Beacons and Tags: Beacons and tags enable online advertising companies to collect data and serve advertising on web sites by allowing communication between a web browser and an ad server. A beacon (or web beacon) is a small transparent image that is placed on a web page. A tag is a small piece of computer code that is run by the web browser.
Interest-Based Advertising: Interest-based advertising uses information collected across multiple web sites to predict users’ preferences and to show ads that are most likely to be of interest to those users.For example, if a user visits a travel site, they might see travel related ads on another site. ClickCertain offers web users choices with respect to the use of the ClickCertain Platform for this type of advertising.
PII: Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is information that by itself can be used to identify a specific individual. PII includes such things as name, address, phone number, and email address. ClickCertain prohibits its customers from providing PII for use on the ClickCertain Platform. (See the Privacy Statement below for more information.)
Non-PII: Non-Personally Identifiable Information is information that cannot by itself be used to identify an individual person. Non-PII includes such things as browser type, operating system, the web address of a web page visited, the time and date a web page was visited, and the web address of the referring page. It may also include the number of times a particular browser has been shown a particular ad, or it may include generic categories indicating inferences that have been made about users’ interests.
Real-Time Bidding:Advertising buyers are able to bid in “real time” for the opportunity to show an online advertisement when a web page is loaded by a web browser. The winning bidder gets to show their ad in the web page. Of course, the explanations above are simplified. There are many resources available on the web to learn more about these concepts and online advertising in general. Although we have no responsibility for the content of these sites, we offer the following as good places to start learning:
- OnGuardOnline.gov: onguardonline.gov
- All About Cookies: www.allaboutcookies.org
- Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_advertising
- AboutAds.info, For Consumers page: www.aboutads.info/consumers
- The Network Advertising Initiative: networkadvertising.org/managing/learn_more.asp
- In the EU: www.youronlinechoices.com
- About web browser cookie settings: — Internet Explorer: support.microsoft.com/kb/196955 — Firefox: support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Cookies — Chrome:www.google.com/support/chrome — Safari: docs.info.apple.com
The ClickCertain Platform
ClickCertain has created a technology platform (Platform or ClickCertain Platform) that our clients use to buy, sell, and deliver online advertising, including interest-based advertising, mostly through real-time bidding.The Platform is designed to enable these advertising purposes through the use of non-PII that may be collected by clients using the Platform, or that clients may acquire from other sources. As described in the Privacy Statement below, ClickCertain makes certain uses of the non-PII collected by clients on the Platform.
The ClickCertain Platform Cookie Statement
- The Platform uses unique cookies to identify web browsers and to store data for advertising purposes, including interest-based advertising.
- The Platform uses unique cookies to store ad delivery and reporting data, such as, for example, which ad was shown, the number of times a particular ad has been shown, and how recently an ad has been shown to a particular web browser.
- The Platform uses unique cookies to track users’ responses (clicks and conversions) to ads purchased on the platform.
- The Platform uses non-unique cookies for server load-balancing and similar technical purposes.
- The Platform uses non-unique cookies to store users’ opt-out choices.
- The ClickCertain Platform is designed to use only non-PII, and ClickCertain has contractual provisions that prohibit clients of the Platform from associating Platform cookies with PII.
The ClickCertain Platform Privacy Statement
Effective 1 August 2012 This privacy statement describes ClickCertain’s use practices and policies with regard to the information that is collected on the Platform. It applies only to ClickCertain. It does not state the use practices or policies of our clients, of the websites on which ads are shown, or of other parties.
|What information do we collect and use?||The Platform is designed to collect and use only non-PII. Details.|
|For what purposes do we use the collected information?||ClickCertain uses the information to provide, operate, manage, maintain, and enhance the Platform. Details.|
|What information do we share with third parties?||Except for data collected on the Platform and provided to clients, partners, and service providers to operate or enhance ClickCertain’ services, or as required by law, ClickCertain does not share the information collected on the Platform with others. Details.|
|How is the information stored and how long is it kept?||The information is stored using generally accepted security standards. It is retained for up to 12 months, and is then aggregated. Details.|
|What are your choices?||Web users may opt out of use of the Platform for interest based advertising. Details.|
|What happens if this privacy statement is changed?||Check this policy for changes. Material changes will not be applied to previously collected information. Details.|
What information do we collect and use?
- PII: ClickCertain does not collect or use PII on the Platform, and prohibits clients from collecting or using PII on the Platform.
- Non-PII: ClickCertain makes some uses of non-PII collected on the Platform.
How do we collect information?
For what purposes do we use the information?
- ClickCertain uses the information collected on the Platform to provide, operate, manage, maintain, and enhance the Platform.
- ClickCertain may act as a client of the Platform to engage in its own online advertising of its business.
- The Platform enables ClickCertain’s clients to use non-PII they collect to buy and sell online advertising, including interest-based advertising, using real-time bidding.
- Particular advertising-related purposes for which ClickCertain clients may use the non-PII they collect on the platform include:
- Interest-based advertising (To opt out of interest-based advertising on the Platform, go to the “What are your choices?” section below.)
- Limiting the number of times a user sees a particular ad
- Showing ads in a particular sequence
- Customizing ads to a particular geographic region
- Showing ads related to the content of the web page on which they are shown
- Determining when users respond to ads
- Reporting aggregated statistics regarding, for example, the effectiveness of online advertising campaigns
What information does ClickCertain share with third parties?
ClickCertain may, to operate or enhance ClickCertain’s services, provide data collected on the Platform to clients, partners, and service providers. In addition, ClickCertain may disclose such information in the event we reasonably suspect malicious activity or believe that we are legally required to do so. ClickCertain may also share aggregated data derived from the Platform, including, for example, statistics about Platform activity. Finally, we may transfer Platform data to a successor entity in connection with a corporate merger, consolidation, sale of assets, bankruptcy, or other corporate change.
How is the information stored and how long is it kept?
- ClickCertain uses generally accepted industry security standards on the Platform.
- Non-PII stored in the platform is retained in the Platform in non-aggregated form for up to 12 months. Aggregated data is used for reporting and analysis, and may be stored in the Platform for up to 2 additional years.
What are your choices?
- You can opt out of interest-based advertising.
- ClickCertain Platform Opt Out: You can click below to opt out of having the Platform used to select ads for you based on your online behavior. When you opt out, an opt out cookie (from adnxs.com) will be stored in your web browser. The Platform will know the choice you have made when it sees your opt out cookie, and will apply your choice to all companies’ use of the Platform. If you block or delete the opt out cookie, the Platform will not see your choice.
- To learn more about interest-based advertising, and to access the opt outs of other online advertising companies, visit the Network Advertising Initiative opt out page.
ClickCertain supports industry self-regulation, and endorses best practices and self-regulatory requirements that apply to the Platform. ClickCertain is a member in good standing of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI). These industry sites also provide useful information about industry self-regulation of interest-based advertising:
U.S.-E.U. Safe Harbor Framework and U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework
For personal information we transfer from the European Union to the United States, we adhere to the principles of the U.S.-E.U. Safe Harbor Framework and U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework, as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce (//export.gov/safeharbor/). For questions or complaints related to the collection, retention, or use of data under either of the Safe Harbor Frameworks, please email [email protected]. Unresolved privacy complaints under either of the Safe Harbors will be referred to the American Arbitration Association as an independent dispute resolution mechanism.
What happens if this privacy statement is changed?
We may change this privacy statement at any time. However, if we were to make material changes, those changes would not be applied to information collected prior to such changes.
If you have questions about privacy on the ClickCertain Platform, you may email us at [email protected].